Friday, January 28, 2011

Tuna Noodle Casserole

You know you are from Minnesota when a good tuna hotdish catches your eye! :) I found this one on the weight watchers site and wanted to see if it was any good. Not much point running with the weight watchers crowd right now, but once this baby is out in the world, I might need some good new recipes to try while I am trying to get back to pre-4 babies shape! This wasn't too bad, but I like a little more crunch in my tuna hotdish. Next time I think that I want to try it sprinkled with a little chow mein noodles...



Tuna Noodle Casserole
(recipe found at www.weightwatchers.com)
serves: 8
points: 5

3 cups fat free skim milk
2 tablespoons all purpose flour
2 tablespoons dijon mustard
2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon dried dill weed
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
20 ounces frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
12 ounces canned chunk white tuna in water, drained
8 ounces uncooked whole wheat pasta, spiral shape, cooked according to directions
2 ounces parmesan cheese, grated (about 1/2 cup)

Preheat oven to 350. Whisk the milk and flour in a large saucepan over medium heat until simmering and thickened. (Mine never really got as thick as I thought that "thickened" meant and it turned out a little dry... So, my take on this direction is "thicker" and make sure that you stay on the medium heat and whisk the whole time! I am bad about trying to go faster and I always scorch my milk! :)

Whisk in the mustard, worcestershire, dill, pepper and salt. Then stir in the vegetables, tuna, noodles and cheese. Pour into a 2 quart round or oblong casserole. Bake until bubbling and lightly browned, about 40 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes at room temperature before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment