Monday, September 12, 2011

Blueberry Breakfast Cake and Secret Recipe Club

This month's assignment was a fun one! The blog that I got for the Secret Recipe Club this month was www.everylittlethingblog.com and she has a lot of fun places to try out if you are in the St. Louis area.... Since my brother just moved there a year ago and a trip to see him is in the works soon I paid special attention to all the yummy places she suggested!

And then there is the food... some fantastic recipes to choose from and I actually tried two different ones this month! Look for her Fudgy Meringue Cookies to be coming on my blog shortly! I ended up blogging about the blueberry breakfast cake because I was lucky to have just gotten a whole box of fresh blueberries that I was excited to use!!

Now as you know, the hubs, some friends and I are doing a weight loss competition and I was worried about this one... Not exactly weight loss friendly from the looks of it! :) But, once I sat down and figured it all out, factoring in the whole wheat flour, nonfat yogurt and oats, it wasn't too bad for you! YAY!!

As I was mixing up the batter for the blueberry breakfast cake I stuck my finger in to taste it (yep, I'm that kind of cook! :) and it tasted more like a dough then a batter... interesting! I threw this together in no time and stuck in in the fridge for overnight. The next morning I popped it in the oven for an hour and we had a fun, hot breakfast that the whole family loved!! Seriously, my kids had it for snack the same afternoon they like it so much. It was sweet, but not too sweet and super delish! Definitely a redo , especially when I can make it the night before...

So, stop on over and see Stacy at www.everylittlethingblog.com. It is SO worth your time! :)



Blueberry Breakfast Cake
(recipe found at http://www.everylittlethingblog.com/)

Streusel:
1 cup oats
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 tablespoons butter, melted

Cake:
2 cups whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
2 eggs
2 cups nonfat greek yogurt (I used plain nonfat yogurt)
1 stick butter, melted
2 cups fresh blueberries

Preheat oven to 350. Combine the streusel ingredients in a bowl and toss well to coat. Set aside. In a large bowl, beat together the brown sugar, eggs, yogurt and melted stick of butter until well combined. Gradually add whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Mix until just combined.

Using a 9x13 pan, spray with nonstick spray and pour the batter in, smoothing as you go. Cover with blueberries and then streusel topping. Bake for about 1 hour or until it bounces back when touched.

Servings: I cut it into 15 pieces
Points per serving: 6



9 comments:

  1. I'd love to have some now...yum! Great delicious pick for the SRC!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, so impressed you made both recipes! You won't be disappointed with those cookies. They may not be pretty to look at but wow are they delicious.

    What i loved about that cake is exactly what you mentioned - that it tasted and looked like it was fattening and "bad" for you, but it really wasn't!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that this cake looks fattening, but has a lot of healthy ingredients in it. I used to make a blueberry poppyseed breakfast cake, but I love the whole wheat flour in this one, so I'm dying to try it! Great SRC choice!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cake for breakfast? Yes please! Especially since the oat topping, the whole wheat flour and the fruit filling mean I can justify it because it's healthy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love when you can fit something delicious into your diet.

    If you haven't already, I'd love for you to check out my SRC recipe this month: Welsh Cakes.

    Lisa~~
    Cook Lisa Cook

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd love to start my day with a piece of this cake. Great find!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This breakfast cake looks lovely! Definitely the perfect breakfast treat. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. How yummy this looks! Great src choice!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi this is Nicole from Colie’s Kitchen I just discovered your blog and wanted to drop by and say hi. I am now a new follower. I would love to have you stop by Colie’s Kitchen if you get a chance. www.colieskitchen.com

    ReplyDelete