Thursday, July 26, 2012

Bourbon Chicken

My kids have been huge corn on the cob fans this summer... We have it at least once a week and we all devour it! I tell you this so that it will put some perspective on this recipe. I paired the corn with this bourbon chicken the other night and the kids LOVED it... My eldest told me "mommy I want more, not corn, just chicken..." My jaw about hit the floor!! I mean, I thought it was delicious but I didn't realize that it would rank that high with the kids! Definitely a do over...

Bourbon Chicken
(recipe found at www.jamiecooksitup.blogspot.com)

5 chicken breasts
2 tablespoons oil
1 teaspoon garlic
1/4 cup apple or pineapple juice
1/3 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons ketchup
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup soy sauce
pinch red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon cornstarch

Cut chicken into small 1-2" pieces. Heat large skillet over medium high heat. Once it is hot, add olive oil. Add chicken pieces to pan and cook about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Once chicken starts to get juicy and bubbly put a lid on the pan and drain juices. Return pan to stove and continue cooking over medium high heat. Into a medium size mixing bowl combine rest of ingredients. Whisk it all together until the cornstarch is dissolved and all ingredients are well combined. When chicken is browned add sauce to the pan, stir to cover pieces. Reduce heat to a low simmer and cover the pan with a lid at an angle to allow some of the steam to escape. Let this simmer for about 20 minutes, stirring a couple of times. Serve over rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment