Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Sugar Crunch Popcorn aka Blue Popcorn

Right before school started I let my 3 oldest kids have a sleepover... They each got to pick a cousin to have over for the night and they had a blast playing in the woods by our house, tearing up the toy room and ultimately settling in for a movie and popcorn before bed. I thought that I would make a special treat of popcorn from a recipe that I had found and the kids went bonkers over it!! They loved that it was blue and I was asked pretty much every day after that if they could have more of the "blue popcorn".


Well, it was such a hit I thought to myself "this would make a great back to school gift for their teachers... Of course our school colors are purple and gold so I busted out 2 batches and made a little of each color. They turned out awesome, if I do say so myself! :) And the kids got to eat the leftovers... win, win! I'm sure you can come up with a fancier container then I did - I'm good in the kitchen, not so much in the craft room! LOL! :)



Sugar Crunch Popcorn
(recipe found at www.jamiecooksitup.blogspot.com)

1/2 cup popcorn, unpopped
salt
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
3 tablespoons water
1/2 teaspoon food coloring

Pop popcorn and salt to taste. Set aside in a large bowl. In a medium size pan add the remaining ingredients. Stir over medium heat until it comes to a boil. Cook for 1 minute at a rolling boil and remove from heat. Pour sugary sauce over your popcorn and cover your bowl securely. Shake until sauce covers all of the popcorn. Allow to sit for 10 minutes and then serve.

Hints: I tried to make this in a paper bag because I didn't have a big enough bowl with a cover for a double batch... This didn't work so well! The sugary sauce started seeping through the bag! :( It still turned out but I still have little blue dots all over my kitchen from when I was shaking it!! So, make sure your bowl is big enough to allow some shaking room!

No comments:

Post a Comment