Monday, March 11, 2013

No Bake Granola Bars

I try to buy healthier snacks for my kids to eat around the house - and usually ones that can be kind of portable since we are one the go a lot. This usually translates into some kind of granola bar being thrown into the shopping cart, along with plenty of other things. They are pretty healthy, but also pretty spendy for a small box. When I found this recipe floating around pinterest, I thought that I would give it a try. I have a few more pinned that I want to try and also compare, but this one was pretty good! I made half the way that the recipe called for it and the other half I made with chocolate chips to give it a little variety. The serving size seemed a bit small to me, but I also think that I didn't press them down into the pan as far as I should have! :) At any rate, the kids like them and that is one of the important criteria!



No Bake Granola Bars
(recipe found on pinterest via penniesandpancakes.blogspot.com)

1/2 cup honey
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup crunchy peanut butter
1/4 cup unsalted butter
4 cups quick cooking oatmeal
2 cups crispy rice cereal
3 teaspoons vanilla

In a large bowl, stir together crispy rice and oatmeal. In a saucepan, melt together honey, butter, peanut butter and brown sugar. Bring to a boil over medium high heat and stir until sugar dissolves completely. Remove from heat, add vanilla and stir to combine. Pour over dry ingredients and stir togehter until mixture is completely combined. Spoon into parchment lined jelly roll pan and press down to a 1/2" - 3/4" depth, keeping the granola bars as close to one side of the pan as you can. I doubled my recipe and it took up the entire pan. Let cool to room temperature and cut into bars. If you are adding chocolate chips, press them into the top of the pan once it is packed down so that they don't melt all over the place.

No comments:

Post a Comment