Thursday, April 4, 2013

Homemade Instant Oatmeal

And to continue on with the breakfast theme... instant oatmeal! :) My kids are big oatmeal fans and the easiest way to get them breakfast in the morning is to just be able to pop one or two of those little packets in the microwave and bam - 1 minute later - hot oatmeal! But, they tend to add up quickly when I am going through a box or so a week! So, when I saw this pin on pinterest it was yet another "I need to try this now!" moment!! So, I threw about 20 packets together in about 10 minutes and they were gone about as quickly! I am now onto my second batch and I will never be buying premade boxes of instant oatmeal again! The kids love to throw some dried cranberries, raisins, even chocolate chips into their oatmeal... It's a great base for whatever flavor they want to add!



Homemade Instant Oatmeal
(recipe found on pinterest via amylovesherlife.blogspot.com)

quick cooking oatmeal
brown sugar
zip lock baggies (snack size work perfect)

You can make these in whatever amounts you want, but I like to make them the size that the packets you can buy are so that they are perfect for the kids. That way if they want more then can make another one, but they aren't wasting one that is too big. So, here is how I sized mine...

1/4 cup oatmeal
1 tablespoon brown sugar

Place both ingredients into a zip lock bag, press out air, seal and squish around so everything is mixed together. Store in cupboard until ready to use. When ready to use, add 1/2 cup water, stir to combine and microwave for 1 minute. Add whatever toppings you like and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment