Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Slow Cooker Wild Rice Soup

The hubs is a big wild rice soup fan so I try to make up a batch every once in a while. This was an easy recipe to double and very quick to throw together, so that's just what I did. Then I froze half of it and we were able to enjoy it again later! Actually it was perfect for the hubs to pull out while I was out of town visiting my brother in St. Louis... No cooking for him and it was a nice hot cooked meal from me even when I wasn't there! :)


Slow Cooker Wild Rice Soup
Recipe found at www.bettycrocker.com)

1 medium onion, chopped
2 stalks celery, diced
2 carrots, diced
1 cup diced smoked turkey (I used diced ham)
1/2 cup uncooked wild rice
1 teaspoon dried tarragon leaves
1/4 teaspoon pepper
3 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 can (12 ounces) non fat evaporated milk
1/3 cup all purpose flour
1 cup frozen peas

Place onion, celery, carrots, turkey, wild rice, tarragon and pepper in crockpot. Pour chicken broth over top and stir to combine. Cover and cook on low 6-8 hours or until wild rice and vegetables are cooked. Stir in peas in last 15 minutes of cooking. Mix evaporated milk and flour together and pour into crockpot. Stir to combine, cover and cook an additional 20 minutes or until soup is thickened.

No comments:

Post a Comment