Thursday, September 19, 2013

Rainbow Cake In a Jar



I made this fun cakes in a jar for my kids' teachers this year to start the year off. I couldn't post earlier because my daughter just got started and I didn't want to ruin the surprise for her teacher! :) Everyone thought that they were super fun and my kids loved that they got to help make them and eat the extras that we had... This recipe makes 4 jars and I had to make it twice since the boys' meet the teacher night was a couple weeks earlier then my daughters. That meant 2 extra jars each time and the kids were definitely excited about that! I attached a label on the side that read "I'm so LUCKY to have you as my teacher this year!"


Rainbow Cake in a Jar
(recipe found at www.tablespoon.com)

1 white cake mix
1 whipped white frosting
3 egg whites, for cake mix
1/3 cup vegetable oil, for cake mix
1 1/4 cup water, for cake mix
neon food colors
regular food colors
4 (1 quart) wide mouth canning jars
nonstick cooking spray

Preheat oven to 350. Wash canning jars and dry thoroughly. Spray glass jar with cooking spray. Make cake batter according to directions on box. Divide batter evenly between 5 small bowls, approximately 1 cup of batter in each bowl. Add 15 drops of neon pink food coloring to the first bowl. Add 14 drops of regular yellow food coloring to the second bowl. Add 24 drops of regular green food coloring to the third bowl. Add 7 drops of neon blue food coloring to the fourth bowl. Add 8 drops of regular red, 7 drops of regular blue and 3 drops of neon purple food coloring to the fifth bowl. Stir each bowl to blend well. Spoon about 1/4 cup of each color batter into each of the jars. Use a paper towel to wipe any spills or drips from the jars. Place the jars in a glass baking dish and add 1/4" of water to the bottom of the dish. Bake for 20-30 minutes or until cake tops spring back from being touched. Allow cakes to cool completely before frosting. Spread frosting over top of cake and decorate as desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment