Monday, May 19, 2014

Lemon Poppyseed Cupcakes



Although my brother told me that his bride to be loved chocolate for anything desserty, I thought that I would also check in with her to see what her favorite flavors are. She did agree with the chocolate, but she also informed me that lemon was another one of her favorite flavors. So, I decided to make some kind of lemon cupcake to give some more options at the shower. I also added a bit of a spring touch to the tops using "fake" swedish fish and gumdrops... Didn't they turn out adorable? I was super happy with the results!! I topped with this recipe for cream cheese frosting.


Lemon Poppyseed Cupcakes
(recipe found on indiansimmer.com)

1/2 cup butter, room temperature
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs
zest and juice of one meyer lemon
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup poppy seeds

Preheat oven to 350. Line 12 cupcake tins with paper or silicone liners. Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt into a small bowl. In bowl of a stand mixer, beat butter and sugar until fluffy, about five minutes. Beat in eggs one at a time, ensuring they are completely incorporated before continuing to the next one. Mix in the zest, lemon juice and vanilla. Add flour and buttermilk to batter in two separate additions, beating completely between additions. Fold in poppyseeds. Fill cupcake liners 7/8 of the way to the top. Bake for 25-30 minutes, rotating half way through baking time. Remove from oven and cool completely before frosting.

No comments:

Post a Comment