Monday, July 7, 2014

Slow Cooker Sausage, Sweet Potato and Black Bean Chili



This soup was a huge hit for me... not so much for the kids. They got it down, but it was tough going for a while. The promise of no pumpkin brownies that I had made earlier or popcorn on movie night were enough to get them to finish eating supper. My mom came over for supper though and she and I both agreed that it was pretty tasty! I needed to cook this a bit longer, usually my slow cooker cooks everything fast, but this time the potatoes weren't all the way done. Still yummy, but not the soft potatoes that are usually in soup. I paired this with my whole wheat bread... It seems to go well with any soup and it is super thick and hearty! I just love it!!

Slow Cooker Sausage, Sweet Potato and Black Bean Chili
(recipe found on http://www.pillsbury.com)

1 pound italian pork sausage
3 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
3 cups beef flavored broth
1 can (28 ounces) fire roasted crushed tomatoes, undrained
1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
1 can (15 ounces) black beans, drained, rinsed
2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled, cut into 3/4-inch cubes (about 4 cups)
1 cup shredded mexican cheese blend

In 10-inch nonstick skillet, cook sausage over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until sausage is thoroughly cooked; drain. Spray slow cooker with cooking spray. In slow cooker, mix sausage and remaining ingredients except cheese. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until potatoes are tender.

No comments:

Post a Comment